January 6th, 2005


changing sex marker on birth certificate

I'm looking for examples of letters people have gotten from their surgeons that have been successfully used to change the sex marker on their birth certificates. Looking back in this community I found two similar questions posted but no actual letters. I was born in MA and the info I've gotten from the office of Vital Statistics just says "In order the change the sex and name on your birth record, you would need to provide a notarized letter from the physician stating that the surgery was completed and a certified copy of your legal name change." So the wording is vague and I know some people have tried using language like "irreversable gender reassignment" instead of getting into details about what type of surgery they have had. I have had chest reconstruction but not genital reconstruction or had a hysto. I am not sure I will want or need the latter two surgeries but I'm trying to figure out if it would even be a possibility for me to change my birth certificate or not at this point.

And since I'm here anyway, I will post a couple letters that have been significant in my own transition.
coming out letter -and- letter for TCollapse )